Open Arms is a free and confidential counselling services for anyone who has served at least one day in the Australian Defense Force (ADF), and their families. This service is run by the Department of Veteran Affairs.
Who is eligible for Open Arms Support?
- Current ADF-serving personnel
- Veterans transitioning from the ADF to civilian life
- Ex-serving personnel
- Partners & some ex-partners of current and ex-serving ADF personnel
- Family members of current and ex-serving ADF personnel
- Children of current and ex-serving ADF personnel
- Parents of current and ex-serving ADF personnel
- Siblings of current and ex-serving ADF personnel
- Carers of family members, partners or friends
- Employers of veterans and service families
How do you get Open Arms Support?
- Speak to Open Arms directly by calling them on 1800 011 046, or visit their Sydney office at Level 3, Tower B, 280 Elizabet Street, Surry Hills.
- They will ask you some questions about your situation, so that they can help identify the most appropriate support for you.
- They will link you up with the most suitable services, such as an Open Arms counsellor.
Open Arms will not share your information with the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Australian Defense Force or other government agencies or external parties without your consent. Your information is only allowed to be shared under exceptional circumstances such as where your safety or the safety of others is at serious risk, in serious criminal matters, or when required by law. If you have been referred through your ADF medical officer or Defence psychologist, periodic reports regarding your treatment will be provided to the ADF Referring Authority.